Thursday, July 14, 2011

Critters In the Cabin

I have had a great time this week working with our preview selection of Suzy Ultman's fabric Critter Community.  So I thought I would share an easy way to add a little kick to the log cabin block by setting it on point!


Begin by choosing a fabric for the center of your log cabin.  I choose a cute little hedgehog cut into a 2.5 inch square.  To the top of the square I added a strip of fabric using a 1/4 inch seam allowance {my fabric strips are random widths from 1.5 inches to about 2.5 inches}.


For my log cabin block, I am working counter clockwise adding strips to frame the center square.  So the next strip will be stitched to the left side of the center.....

           
Each time I add a strip, I simply trim it even with the edges of the square before adding the next strip.  It is a good idea to press each fabric before adding the next.


For this project I will use a 10.5 inch square up ruler to make the final cut on my block.  And since my block will be on point I need to over size the block.  So I simply continue adding strips until my log cabin is more than large enough for my square up ruler.  If you don't have a square up ruler you can use a piece of paper, posterboard or quilter's template plastic cut to the correct size.  Then place your acrylic ruler on top of your template and even with the edge - and cut!

   
I have placed my square up ruler on point.  Now I can trim around each side and the result will be a log cabin block set on point!  If you would like to make this even more fun, tilt the ruler a little and your block will be a bit wonky!


Easy and fun!


Happy Sewing!
mary    


P.S. Stay tuned for more projects using Suzy Ultman's new Critter Community and the fabric release date to come soon!

7 comments:

Nicky said...

And I guess you can use the offcuts to make another wonky block as I could not bear to throw them.

Thanks for the tutorial Mary these blocks are so cute but now I have to add another little project onto my to do list!!

Susan said...

I agree with Nicky - it would be great to use the scraps up to make more blocks! Are you going to join these blocks with borders/sashing? I look forward to seeing how this comes together!

LucindaM said...

What cute critters! Look forward to some of my own!

Unknown said...

wonderful Mary just great ... going to play with this tomorrow ...

Live a Colorful Life said...

This looks like so much fun. Thanks, Mary!

tutuapp said...

wow!!Amazing post
Thank you very much for sharing attractive post here.

Tutuapp said...

I found very interesting and nice keep sharing awesome shared how to get tutuapp on android