Thursday, July 14, 2011

Critters In the Cabin

I have had a great time this week working with our preview selection of Suzy Ultman's fabric Critter Community.  So I thought I would share an easy way to add a little kick to the log cabin block by setting it on point!


Begin by choosing a fabric for the center of your log cabin.  I choose a cute little hedgehog cut into a 2.5 inch square.  To the top of the square I added a strip of fabric using a 1/4 inch seam allowance {my fabric strips are random widths from 1.5 inches to about 2.5 inches}.


For my log cabin block, I am working counter clockwise adding strips to frame the center square.  So the next strip will be stitched to the left side of the center.....

           
Each time I add a strip, I simply trim it even with the edges of the square before adding the next strip.  It is a good idea to press each fabric before adding the next.


For this project I will use a 10.5 inch square up ruler to make the final cut on my block.  And since my block will be on point I need to over size the block.  So I simply continue adding strips until my log cabin is more than large enough for my square up ruler.  If you don't have a square up ruler you can use a piece of paper, posterboard or quilter's template plastic cut to the correct size.  Then place your acrylic ruler on top of your template and even with the edge - and cut!

   
I have placed my square up ruler on point.  Now I can trim around each side and the result will be a log cabin block set on point!  If you would like to make this even more fun, tilt the ruler a little and your block will be a bit wonky!


Easy and fun!


Happy Sewing!
mary    


P.S. Stay tuned for more projects using Suzy Ultman's new Critter Community and the fabric release date to come soon!

5 comments:

Nicky said...

And I guess you can use the offcuts to make another wonky block as I could not bear to throw them.

Thanks for the tutorial Mary these blocks are so cute but now I have to add another little project onto my to do list!!

Patchwork and Play said...

I agree with Nicky - it would be great to use the scraps up to make more blocks! Are you going to join these blocks with borders/sashing? I look forward to seeing how this comes together!

Lucinda said...

What cute critters! Look forward to some of my own!

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

wonderful Mary just great ... going to play with this tomorrow ...

Live a Colorful Life said...

This looks like so much fun. Thanks, Mary!