Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Tisket...A Tasket....

Here is a super simple way to make a basket block.....
First choose your fabrics....you will need a basket fabric and a background fabric.  You will also need some rik-rak for your basket handle.

Begin by making a simple basket shape.  My basket is 5 inches tall and then I angled the sides for a basket shape.....

Notice the angles on the two sides are not the same.  They don't need to be - so there is no need to measure and try to be precise.  The only thing you need to keep in mind is that you will lose 1/4 inch on each side for seam allowances.

From my background fabric I will cut two pieces for each side of my basket.  I am going to over-size all my pieces from this point on and trim them up in the end.  So for my background sides I want the length of my pieces to be the same length as my basket {5 inches}.  In the end I will square my basket up to 10.5 inches so I will make the width of my background pieces at least 5 inches as well....then with my basket sandwiched in between the background pieces, I will definitely have enough to trim away.

    
In order to sew my basket to the background I need to make the angle of  the adjoining sides the same.  An easy way to do this is to line up one of the background sides on a vertical and horizontal line on your mat { all right sides up }.  Place your basket right side up just on top of the edge of the background piece so that it is completely covering the edge....


Now, with your acrylic ruler and rotary cutter, cut along that angle trimming away a slice of the background fabric.  Simply follow the angle of your basket.  Then stitch the background to the basket { right sides facing }.


Repeat this for the other side of the basket.  And, again, stitch the side to the basket {right sides facing }.


With your basket unit complete, cut a piece of background fabric large enough in width to cover the width of the basket unit and long enough that you can add a handle for your basket.

Before stitching the top section to the basket unit, cut a piece of rik-rak and form it into a handle.  The ends of the rik-rak should hang down about 1/4 inch from the bottom edge of the top section.  Pin the handle in place....

   
Stitch the handle to the top section.  If you match your thread to the handle you won't even see the stitching.
Add the top section with the handle to your basket unit...and trim away the excess rik-rak from below the seam allowance.  Press seams toward the basket.

  
Add a bottom section to your basket unit the same way as the top, but without the rik-rak.


Press well and trim the whole block up to 10.5 inches....


And there you have a cute little basket block!


This would be a great block to add to a quilt or to make an entire quilt of baskets!  Add a block to an apron or make it the pocket of an apron...a table runner of baskets....or add to a pillow.  How cute would this block be made with the Ghastlies fabric for a bit of Halloween fun! 
Happy Stitching!
Mary


9 comments:

Susan said...

Very cute! Are you an apron girl? I am. so this will be a great idea to add to the next one I make! Thanks for the tutorial!

felicity said...

Aw this is sooo cute!!

Rie said...

That is such a cute basket .. and so simple too!

**nicke... said...

oh the ghastlies as baskets... genius!

Missy said...

You make it look so easy! I love it!!

Leslie said...

super cute!!!

Simone de Klerk said...

So cute and you make it so easy!!!

dogwood designs said...

Do you still have the orange Elephant fabric?

Anita said...

sorry but the orange elephant fabric is all gone.